Here are 7 healthy breakfast ideas to help get your day started. It can be said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This is because it provides the body with the fuel needed to get started for a long busy day. Unless you are fasting, it is recommended that you eat breakfast within an hour or two of waking. We have put together 7 recipes that are nutritionally balanced and will keep you fuller for longer. Why not challenge yourself to smash the week by following our 7 breakfast ideas alongside our 7 fat burning circuits.
Healthy Breakfast #1: Smoothie Bowl
You will need a blender for this recipe.
One cup of Frozen berries (thawed) – you can also use other fruits such as mango
One teaspoon Chia Seeds
One tablespoon Desiccated coconut
One teaspoon Honey
100 ml Milk/Water
- In a blender, such as a nutri bullet, add spinach, berries, honey and milk/water. Give these ingredients a good blitz. The mixture should be thick, not runny like a drink. Add more milk/water if the mixture is too thick that it hasn’t blended well.
- Serve in a bowl and top with chopped banana, desiccated coconut, chia seeds a granola.
Healthy Breakfast #2: Oat bake
This recipe is also great as a snack to be enjoyed throughout the day.
3 cups of porridge oats
1 cup dried cranberries or dates or other dried fruit to your liking
Almond Milk / Milk
½ cup Desiccated coconut
½ cup Flaked Almond (optional)
1 cup Flaxseeds
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients and cover with the milk. You should have a thick consistency.
- Pour mixture into an oven dish and back for 30 minutes at 200’c or 180’c fan.
- Once baked, let it cook and cut into pieces.
Your oat bake can be served with yogurt and fresh fruit or with a light dusting of icing sugar.
Tip: You can also use these same ingredient and cook in a pan instead for regular porridge.
Healthy Breakfast #3: Vegetable smoothie
½ cup frozen berries
300 ml Milk or Water
- Blend all ingredients together and serve
Tip: To add more sweetness you can add some honey or maple syrup.
Healthy Breakfast #4: Green Protein Smoothie
240 ml Almond milk/Dairy Milk
½ Frozen banana
42g Vanilla Protein Powder
Handful of Spinach
10g Pumpkin seeds
- Blend all the ingredients together and top with pumpkin seeds once poured in a glass.
Tip: you can substitute the spinach for kale and frozen banana for frozen mango.
Healthy Breakfast #5: Chickpea Omelette
½ tin of chickpea mashed
¼ bell pepper diced (we recommend red)
½ spring onion diced
½ tablespoon Yeast
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- Mix the chickpea, pepper and spring onion in a bowl and add yeast.
- Season mixture with salt and pepper
- Separate the mixture by hand and shape like an omelette
- Add oil to the pan and fry the omelette until golden on each side.
- Serve with a side salad
Tip: season the mixture as you desire, we recommend seasoning with chilli powder and a light sprinkle of mixed Italian herbs.
Healthy Breakfast #6: Chocolate Breakfast Dessert
½ cup chia seeds
½ cup almond milk
1.5 tablespoon cocoa powder
½ tablespoon honey/maple syrup
Handful of mixed berries
10g shaved 70% dark chocolate
1 teaspoon of desiccated coconut
- In a pan mix the chia seeds with the milk until the chia seeds have expanded and the liquid has thickened
- Add the cocoa powder and honey/maple syrup.
- Serve in a bowl and top with the berries, coconut and chocolate.
Tip: add a drop of vanilla extract to the mixture for more flavour or substitute cocoa powder with chocolate protein powder for added protein.
Healthy Breakfast #7: Omelette
2 Large Eggs – whisked
Handful Cheddar Cheese grated
½ red onion – sliced
½ red pepper – sliced
¼ Carrot grated
- Mix the eggs, onion, pepper and carrot in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper
- Heat a pan with a little spray oil or butter and add the mixture. Allow the mixture to start to cook through until the top layer of the egg is cooked. Top with spinach and cheese
- Fold the omelette and flip, cook on each side for a couple of minutes.